Justice Ibrahim Buba of a Federal High court in Lagos
renewed Tompolo's arrest warrant on Monday, February 8,
and dismissed the application filed by the ex-militant's
lawyer, Tayo Oyetibo , urging the court to set aside an order
of substituted service.
READ: EFCC accuse Tompolo of N11.8b fraud, files new
charges »
Justice Buba said the application was “misconceived,
misplaced, and misapplicable”.
The judge had initially ordered the ex-militant arrest on
January 14 but his lawyer the defendant’s lawyer claimed
in court on Monday he had not been properly served with
the summons.
“Up till today the first defendant has refused to honour the
invitation of the court to appear before it.
"The whole essence of service is to make the person aware of
charges facing him. By bringing an application before the court,
the first defendant had become aware of the charge before the
court", the judge said.
Justice Buba adjourned the case till February 19 and
ordered relevant security agencies to produce Tompolo.
The ex-militant is facing 14 counts of theft and money
laundering between 2012 and last year totalling just over
$175 million (157 million euros).
READ: EFCC accuse Tompolo of fresh N22.8b fraud »
He is one of 10 defendants, including a former Director
General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety
Agency (NIMASA), Patrick Akpobolokemi , named on a 40-
count indictment brought by the Economic and Financial
Crimes Commission (EFCC).

No comments:
Post a Comment